The Association of Protestant Students of Paris, AEPP, is a state-approved non-profit organisation (Law of 1901).
A.E.P.P. is an international place of reflection and sharing which aims to help students to make their studies a time of personal growth and development. The student residence forms the heart of the association, and represents an exceptional learning opportunity through community life. The residence accepts male and female students coming from a range of cultural, geographical, and religious backgrounds, offering them a warm and open welcome.
The Société Fraternelle des Etudiants Protestants was founded in 1892 by around 40 students, with Jean Monnier. It was set up at 42 Rue Saint-Jacques and organised meetings, monthly conferences, work groups, groups studying religious questions etc. 4 years later, the organisation moved to 46 Rue de Vaugirard and became the "Cercle des Etudiants Protestants de Paris". From this point onwards, the students became actively involved in the activities and functioning of the association. This circle quickly became an important centre of Paris’ student community, not only as an intellectual hub, but also as an affordable restaurant and a place of conviviality. Its influence spread out beyond Paris, as it participated in the creation of the French Federation of Christian Students’ Associations (FFUACE), known as the Fédé.
In the interwar period, following statutory changes, the circle became the Association des Etudiants Protestants de Paris, which was recognised as a public utility on the 11 th March 1923. In this same period, it became the owner of the building at 46 Rue de Vaugirard. It was also in 1923 that its residential activities began, with 7 student residents. By 1937 this number had gone up to 31. These residents became the core of the Association, organising conferences, groups, and exhibitions.
During the Second World War, the Association was forced to cease its activities following a decision made by the occupying authorities. However, the residence and the restaurant remained, under the responsibility of the French Reformed Church. The Association’s activities restarted after the war, and in the 1950’s, 46 Rue de Vaugirard was a place of learning and of lively debate. After 1968, the residence’s activities stopped. The AEPP became a space for free speech and a forum for Associations.
It was in 1981 that the committee of the AEPP, after long consideration, decided to return to the Association’s original mission. The residence and its activities were reborn with the assistance of the students.
In 2001, the association sold the premises at Rue de Vaugirard. In 2006, a more spacious building was acquired, located at 4 rue Titon. where the new residence and centre of student activity opened in september 2007.
The AEPP is an associate member of the FUACE/WSCF (Universal Federation of Christian Students) that develops relation at International level. This memberships allows residents of AEPP to participate in meetings abroad and to pursue personal opportunities in an international context.
In France The AEPP represents the Fédération Française des Associations Chrétiennes d’Etudiants (FFACE), and is a member of the "Fédération Protestante de France".